PaySchools will be out of service from June 18 – July 1. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
In accordance with state and federal law, the Sheldon Community School district adopts the following policy to ensure school district employees, families, and students have a shared understanding of expectations regarding meal charges. The policy seeks to allow students to receive the nutrition they need to stay focused during the school day, prevent the overt identification of students with insufficient funds to pay for school meals and maintain the financial integrity of the nonprofit school nutrition program.
1. Staff members are not allowed to have a negative balance, a reminder will be sent via email when the account reaches $5.00.
2. Seconds and ala-carte items will NOT be allowed if there is a negative balance.
3. A reminder will be sent home with the child and/or an email from the Principal’s office will be sent to the parent/guardian when a child reaches $6.00.
4. Daily emails will continue as reminders for the parents.
5. When a student’s account reaches negative $6.00 a reminder will be sent home via child or email/mail.
6. When a student/family account reaches negative $15.00 per student the district office will send out an email/letter to the family.
7. When a student account reaches a negative balance of $15.00 per student, the student will need to bring a sack lunch or the student will be served and charged for an alternate lunch, (entrée, veg. & milk) or alternate breakfast, (cereal & milk). A student may purchase milk if bringing a sack lunch.
8. The child will be notified of the alternate meal.
9. Alternate meals will be served to the students in the same manner as all student meals and contain components available to all students.
10. Students with an outstanding meal charge shall be allowed to purchase a meal if the student pays for the meal when received.
11. Students who qualify for a free meal shall not be denied a reimbursable meal.
Communication of the Policy
The policy and supporting information regarding meal charges shall be provided in writing to:
All households at or before the start of each school year
Students and families who transfer into the district, at the time of transfer; and
All staff responsible for enforcing any aspect of the policy
Iowa Nondiscrimination Statement
It is the policy of the Department of Education not to discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, gender, disability, religion, age, political party affiliation, or actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code sections 216.9 and 256.10(2), Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Equal Pay Act of 1973, Title IX, Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973), and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
If you have questions or grievances related to compliance with this policy by the Iowa Department of Education, please contact the legal counsel for the Iowa Department of Education, Grimes State Office Building, Des Moines, IA 50319-0146, telephone number 515-281-5295; or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison Street, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, telephone number 312/730-1560, fax 312/730-1576, or email: [email protected]